Science shouts: Get up from sitting every 20 minutes!
Studies have shown that our bodies can benefit from simply standing up, contracting muscles, and moving. Think of standing as pressing a proverbial reset button on your body. If you press the reset button before the timer hits 20 minutes, you’ll avoid any of the negative side effects of a sedentary job. Simply stand up every 20 minutes (even if you do nothing else) you can change how your body adapts physiologically. In fact, studies indicate convincingly that standing up about every 20 minutes, even for only a minute or two, reduces your risks of developing diabetes and heart disease.*
By standing up, you cause the big muscles in your legs and back to contract, which leads to an increase in certain enzymes that break up fat in the blood stream. You don’t have to jog in place or do jumping jacks. Just simply stand!
How about standing while you work? Perhaps the most obvious idea of how to stand and move more at work is to convert your workstation with a standing desk. If you’re interested to try this for yourself, best advice is to start small and inexpensive. And take things slow. I personally believe that a stand, sit, move combination works best.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Get yourself Reboot which is designed to beep at the optimal time to get you standing up and protecting your body.
Also, if you already have back and joint pain from sitting too much check out this article here.
We have a number of potential solutions that are specially designed to deal with this little known nervous system problem.
- The Foundation – A portable posture correction device designed to exercise core muscles while sitting.
- The Dream Pillow –
- “Not your grandfather’s pillow. The most innovative and comfortable pillow we’ve ever seen”
- With its incredibly supportive and unique shape, there are simply no other pillows with this level of design, innovation and craftsmanship. We tried to make the pillow out there to get a great night’s sleep.
- Reboot – Scientists say it is actually non-exercise movement, the mere change in posture every 15 minutes or so, is a major influence in avoiding these chronic problems. So, the solution is simple: REBOOT! We, at The Spinery, invented a fun reminder that makes you do just that.
- Our book – Rethinking Posture in the Modern World
- Outlines a simple guide to analyse posture and correct it. Good posture should be equal with brushing your teeth.
- Explains how to adapt more primal movement patterns to strengthen and correct posture.
- Encourages the use of ACE (Active Conscious Engagement) with easy-to-follow strategies while sitting, standing and exercising. This is by actively transferring the stress off your spine, discs and joints to your core muscles, so that you will be ‘exercising’ all day.
Also, if you enjoyed this article you should check out these other articles on other shocking affects of bad posture.
- Is The Nervous System Disrupted by Poor Posture?
- The most amazing pillow in the world!
- Are we becoming a smartphone zombie?
- Practical guide on how to sit, sleep and move for everyone.
- Simple solution for anyone who sits too much.
– Lawrence Woods