Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints.
Health joints without arthritis have smooth tissue called cartilage and synovium and a lubricant called synovial fluid cushion the joints so bones do not rub together. But increasing age, injury (even sitting the wrong way or poor posture can ultimately wear your cartilage down. This can lead to a reaction that can damage your joints and lead to arthritis.
Everyone always asks Woods, ‘What should I take?’.
When it comes to choosing joint supplements or if you cannot get them from a natural source, here are some options:
Glucosamine is an amino acid that is naturally produced in the body. Glucosamine is the precursor to a molecule allegedly used in the formation and repair of cartilage. Treatment with glucosamine is based on the model that consumption of the ingredient may increase the rate at which new cartilage forms by providing more of the necessary building blocks. The recommended dose of glucosamine is 1500mg each day for one to two months. Continuing treatment may be considered if results are favorable.
A natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin is from animal marrow in the form of bone broth.
Chondroitin is the most abundant glycosaminoglycan in cartilage and is partly responsible for the resiliency of cartilage. Chondroitin may also important in preventing the action of enzymes that destroy cartilage. The recommended dose of chondroitin is 800 mg each day for up to two months. Treatment is often continued if results are favourable and is commonly taken in conjunction with glucosamine.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) helps support healthy ligaments. Some studies indicate that a high intake may help ease the symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. The model is that the sulfur in MSM helps the body maintain healthy, flexible ligaments. MSM commonly is given as 2 to 6 g/day in 2 to 3 divided doses.
Foods to eat for Arthritis
Foods that contain the sulfur compound methyl sulfonyl methane (MSM) are milk (contains 3.3 ppm of MSM), raw tomatoes (up to 0.86 milligram per liter of MSM), corn may contain as much as 0.11 milligram per liter of MSM), tea (0.3 ppm of MSM), and some say beer as well!
Egg Shell Membrane (NEM) holds an all-natural joint health ingredient derived from the membrane, or inner lining, of eggshells. The shells contain naturally occurring glycosaminoglycans, including chondroitin and hyaluronic acid, collagen, amino acids and other beneficial proteins that may be essential for joint health. Recommended dose is 500mg/day.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is a naturally occurring polysaccharide (carbohydrate) in the human body. It’s present in large amounts in the spaces between skin cells, where it provides moisture, plumpness, firmness and suppleness to the skin. HA allegedly works by acting as a cushion and lubricant in the joints and other tissues. In addition, it might affect the way the body responds to injury. The recommended dosage for HA is not reliably established for oral supplements. However, recommended dosages usually range from 20 to 120mg, with some recommendations as high as 200mg. Feedback on HA is that it is great for wrinkles as well!
Including foods high in hyaluronic acid may be an easy way to increase the amount of it in your body. Foods such as leafy greens, root vegetables, broths made from animal bones, skin and connective tissues are good sources. While there isn’t a direct source of hyaluronic acid, red wine may help increase the amount that your body produces on its own.
I hope this article was helpful. Also, if you are interested in learning the shocking connection between exercise and back joint health click here.
Some Other Solutions
- We have a number of potential solutions that are specially designed to deal with the symptoms of this problem.
- The Foundation – A portable posture correction device designed to exercise core muscles while sitting.
- Reboot – Scientists say it is actually a non-exercise movement, the mere change in posture every 15 minutes or so, is a major influence in avoiding these chronic problems. So, the solution is simple: REBOOT! We, at The Spinery, invented a fun reminder that makes you do just that.
- The Fitzwilliam – The Fitzwilliam Natural Latex Mattress Ergonomically and orthopedically designed in Dublin, Ireland to give you amazing support and a great nights sleep.
- The Dream Pillow – “Not your grandfather’s pillow. The most innovative and comfortable pillow we’ve ever seen”
- With its incredibly supportive and unique shape, there are simply no other pillows with this level of design, innovation, and craftsmanship. We tried to make the pillow out there to get a great night’s sleep.
- Our book – Rethinking Posture in the Modern World
- Outlines a simple guide to analyze posture and correct it. Good posture should be equal with brushing your teeth.
- Explains how to adapt more primal movement patterns to strengthen and correct posture.
- Encourages the use of ACE (Active Conscious Engagement) with easy-to-follow strategies while sitting, standing and exercising. This is by actively transferring the stress off your spine, discs, and joints to your core muscles so that you will be ‘exercising’ all day.
Also, if you enjoyed this article on the connection between posture and depression you should check out these other articles on other shocking affects of bad posture
- Children’s Spines and Media Gadgets
- It’s lack of movement not lack of exercise.
- Exercise and Spinal Health
- Simple solution for anyone who sits too much.
- A Fresh new book that will change your thinking on posture
– Lawrence Woods
You Might Be Interested In
Chiropractor's Guide: Best Sleeping Position for Hip Pain If you're among the millions of Americans who experience hip pain, you know how debilitating hip pain can be. The Mayo Clinic estimates that up to 26% of adults suffer from hip pain, making it one of the most...
Best Mattress for Hip Pain IrelandSleep is a vital part of life, providing our bodies with the time and opportunity to rest and recuperate from the day’s activities. Unfortunately, many people find that their mattress actually contributes to pain and discomfort...
My goal is to create the highest quality mattresses and pillows for unmatched comfort.
With 30 years of spinal healthcare experience, I learned that many peoples problems are avoidable with expert design.
Discover what a great night’s sleep feels like.